Technology Park South

Ludwig Mies van der Rohe
Naess and Murphy Associates, associated architects and engineers; Paschen Contractors, Inc., foundations
1955-56
3440 South State Street

This building, acquired from the IIT Research Institute (IITRI) by Illinois Tech in 1975, was sold to the Institute of Gas Technology in 1976. The building once housed the first nuclear reactor in the United States, as well as the Univac 1105 computer. Illinois Tech took over the building again when IGT moved to Des Plaines in 1994.

Formerly/Also Known As: Institute of Gas Technology - South Building (1976-1994), Armour Research Foundation Physics and Electrical Engineering Research Building (1956-1963), Illinois Institute of Technology Research Institute Physics and Electrical Engineering Research Building (1963-1975), PER Building

See this item on the map
See this location on Google Maps

See sources
Collapse sources
Names:
Technology Park South: Illinois Institute of Technology. “Main Campus Buildings,” Accessed April 2, 2015, http://web.iit.edu/about/main-campus-buildings.
IGT South, ARF/IITRI Physics and Electrical Engineering Building, PER: Rolf Achilles, Guide to the Campus of the Illinois Institute of Technology (Chicago: Mies Centennial Project, 1986), 14.

Architect, etc.:
Achilles, Guide to the Campus of the Illinois Institute of Technology, 14.

Dates:
Illinois Institute of Technology, Building and Grounds Committee of the Board of Trustees, Building and Grounds Committee of the Board of Trustees Minutes of Meeting, November 23, 1955, 2.
Illinois Institute of Technology, Building and Grounds Committee of the Board of Trustees, Building and Grounds Committee of the Board of Trustees Minutes of Meeting, January 8, 1957, 1.
Illinois Institute of Technology, Executive Committee of the Board of Trustees, Executive Committee of the Board of Trustees Minutes of Meeting, July 15, 1974, 4.

"IIT Gets Space in PER Building," Technology News, September 6, 1974, 2.


Have a question, correction, or a story that you'd like to share about this building? Contact us at digitalcollections@iit.edu.