Armour Research Foundation Woodworking Laboratory
1913 (demolished 1956)
3315 South Dearborn Street
This laboratory housed refrigeration research for almost thirty years before becoming the institute's Combustion Laboratory in 1940. After a few years, the lab was used for woodworking, and it remained dedicated to this purpose until it was demolished prior to the construction of Siegel Hall in 1956.
Formerly/Also Known As: Refrigeration Laboratory (1913-1940), Combustion Research Laboratory (1940-1943), Pattern Shop (1943), Wood Technology Building (1945), Armour Research Foundation Laboratory (ca. 1948), Ice Lab
See this item on the map
See this location on Google Maps
Refrigeration Laboratory: Armour Institute of Technology, Bulletin of the Armour Institute of Technology XXIX, no. 1 (May, 1935), 142.
Combustion Research Laboratory: Armour Institute of Technology, Bulletin of the Armour Institute of Technology XXIV, no. 2 (May, 1940), back cover.
ARF Laboratory: Illinois Institute of Technology, Technology Center Today and Tomorrow (Chicago: Illinois Institute of Technology, 1948).
Wood Technology Building: Illinois Institute of Technology. Graduate School Bulletin (1945-46).
ARF Woodworking Laboratory: Illinois Institute of Technology, Bulletin Illinois Institute of Technology March 1955 (1955), 3.
Ice Lab: Godwin, Francis W, "35 West 33rd Street," Armour Engineer and Alumnus 6, no. 3. 1941, 9.
Illinois Institute of Technology, Technology Center Today and Tomorrow.
"Navy Man Inspects Foundation’s Labs," Armour Tech News, February 7, 1939, 4.
Have a question, correction, or a story that you'd like to share about this building? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.