Alpha Sigma Phi House
construction date unknown (demolished 1961-62)
3224 South Michigan Avenue
This was formerly the residence of banker John Jay Abbott and his wife. The building was willed to the university in 1952, and housed Dean C.E. Deakins until he moved into an apartment in Cunningham Hall in 1955. Alpha Sigma Phi moved into the house in 1955, and moved out to occupy their new house in the fraternity quadrangle in 1960.
Formerly/Also Known As: Abbott House (unknown-1954)
See this item on the map
See this location on Google Maps
Abbott House: "Speculate on the Use of Abbott House as Campus Building or Home," Technology News, March 21, 1952, 2.
Alpha Sigma Phi: "Fraternities Change Quarters to Complete Mich. Ave. 'Row,'" Technology News, October 7, 1955, 4.
"Fraternities Change Quarters to Complete Mich. Ave. 'Row,'", 4.
Illinois Institute of Technology, Office of the President, Annual Report of the President, 1963-64 (Chicago: Illinois Institute of Technology, 1964), 14.
Have a question, correction, or a story that you'd like to share about this building? Contact us at email@example.com.