Armour Research Foundation Magnetic Recording Laboratory
1888 (demolished 1956)
3219 South Federal Street
Acquired by the Armour Institute in 1890, this former residence housed the Armour Institute of Technology cafeteria until it was moved to the Armour Mission in 1933. Armour Research Foundation took over the building in 1947, and used it as a magnetic recording lab and shipping/receiving office.
Formerly/Also Known As: Fieldhouse (1933-1944), Beanery (1920s-1933), Dining Hall (1920s-1933), Cafeteria (1920s-1933)
See this item on the map
See this location on Google Maps
ARF Magnetic Recording Laboratory: Illinois Institute of Technology, Technology Center Today and Tomorrow (Chicago: Illinois Institute of Technology, 1948).
Cafeteria: "The Red Brick Building at the end of Ogden Field is the Armour Tech Cafeteria," Armour Tech News, September 17, 1928, 3.
Dining Hall: Armour Institute of Technology, Bulletin of the Armour Institute of Technology XXVI, no. 1 (May, 1932), 136.
Beanery: "Student Union, Field House to Foster Activities," Technology News, January 14, 1941, 1.
Fieldhouse: Illinois Institute of Technology, Bulletin of IIT March 1955 XIV (1955), 3.
Illinois Institute of Technology, Technology Center Today and Tomorrow.
Conrad Golick, "Landmark Disappears, Fieldhouse is Leveled," Technology News, October 5, 1956, 6.
"'Mission' Part of Armour Since 1892," Armour Tech News, May 18, 1938, 2.
Have a question, correction, or a story that you'd like to share about this building? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.